The United Kingdom (UK) has historically played a leading role in developing parliamentary democracy and in advancing literature and science. The UK, a leading trading power and financial center, is the third largest economy in Europe after Germany and France.
The UK encourages anyone who can contribute to the British economy, and core to this ideology are business people, ranging from investors, to entrepreneurs and even new workers from the expanding EU market. Immigration laws in the United Kingdom are designed to draw in entrepreneurs, investors, and other individuals with talent. However, due to the recent changes that make immigration harder even for skilled workers, the Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) Visa Program is the best option to qualify for eventual citizenship in the country.
There are several benefits that come from applying for the Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) Visa. Here’s why you should enroll.
- You receive the opportunity to live in a multicultural society that is home to a diverse range of ethnicities and communities.
- The UK is a member of the G7.
- The UK is home to one of the best healthcare services in the world.
- The UK boasts a very high standard with regard to education. The network of private and state-funded schools is wide. Apart from that, the country is home to over 100 higher education institutions and universities.
- The capital, London, serves as a key financial center on the global map.
- The UK Passport offers immense security and freedom of travel.
- Investors with a high net worth that are categorized as UK residents or non-domicile can benefit from an attractive tax regime.
This visa is for people who wish to come to the UK to start a new business and work in the capacity of running that business. Here are the requirements for a Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) Visa:
- Applicants must have a minimum of £200,000 to start the proposed business
- Applicants can open any type of business but must work full-time in the running of the business
- Applicants must invest through the opening of a business
- Applicants must take a share of the business’s liabilities
- Applicants must have sufficient funds to maintain themselves until the business becomes profitable
- Applicants must have a controlling interest in the business
- Applicants must have a convincing and viable business plan
- You must meet the English language ability requirements (see below) AND
- You must have sufficient funds, as specified by the UK Government at the time of application
A successful applicant is generally given an initial visa valid for 3 years and 4 months
An extension of the visa for an additional 2 years can be applied for as long as the requirements are met
Applicants may, after 5 years, apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR)
- In order to become a British citizen, the applicant has to hold ILR for at least 12 months before applying for naturalization
English Language Ability
Applicants who obtained a degree from a non-English language institution must pass the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) and score a minimum of 6.5 on each of the 4 components. IELTS measures the ability to communicate in English across all four language skills – listening, reading, writing, and speaking – for people who intend to study or work where English is the language of communication.
There are a number of UK business visas and schemes for those wishing to migrate to the UK as part of the business immigration stream.
Investment opportunities in the United Kingdom are:
- Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) Visa
This visa is for people who wish to come to the UK to start a new business and work in the capacity of running that business. Applicant must have access to £200,000 investment funds to set up or take over the running of a business in the UK
- Tier 1 (Investor) Visa
This visa is based on an individual’s wealth and willingness to invest money in UK interests. This is a passive investment. Applicant must have at least £2 million at their disposal for investment in the UK
The Home Office fee for naturalization is £1,330 (including the £80 citizenship fee). The biometric enrolment fee is £19.20.
The Home Office fee for adult registration is £1,206 (including the £80 Citizenship fee). The biometric enrolment fee is £19.20.
The Home Office fee for child registration is £1,012 (an additional £80 Citizenship fee would be charged if the minor turned 18 during the application process). The biometric enrolment fee is £19.20.
There are no priority services available for Naturalization.
FAQs about United Kingdom & The Citizenship by Investment Program
- Can My Family Join Me With a UK Investor Visa?
Yes, your family members can join you in the UK if you receive an Investor Visa. dependent family members include:
Your spouse or your partner.
Your minor child (under 18).
Adult children if they are dependent or if they are already in the UK with you (i.e. they reached adulthood while living in the UK).
- Can I Work in the UK with an Investor Visa?
Yes, if you have a UK Investment Visa, you can work and study in the UK as well. The same applies to your dependent family members.
You cannot work as a professional sportsperson or sports coach. You also cannot work as a doctor or dentist in training, unless you have a degree from a UK institution or have worked in the UK previously in those positions.
Make United Kingdom your second home
GDP nominal (per capita)
GDP (purchasing power parity)
Greenwich Mean Time
Shipbuilding, automotive industry, aerospace industry
Not a Member
- Strong and stable economy
- Multiple financial opportunities
- Great health care and education system
The materials contained in this page are provided for general information purposes only and are not intended to provide legal or other professional advice. Processing times and costs will vary depending on a number of factors. CitizenMatch is not responsible for any changes to the time and cost estimates; we can provide specific information on an individual basis. All rights reserved.