Portugal’s fast developing market coupled with the access it provides to the entire Schengen Area, makes it an ideal relocation destination for families, as well as businesses. Portugal offers a European standard of living, including high standards of education and healthcare. Being a Mediterranean country, Portugal boasts of a rich and diverse culture as well as, a Mediterranean climate.
Immigration to Portugal through investment under the golden visa to Portugal, is an attractive option for those seeking investment opportunities and/or residency in the European Union. As a resident of Portugal, you can enjoy many benefits such as its rich culture, spectacular beaches and landscapes, high quality of life, and visa-free travel in the Schengen area.
There are several benefits that come as a result of enrolling in the Golden Residence Permit Program. Living in Portugal, in itself, is the most significant benefit. The country is home to a diverse and exquisite culture and is also one of the safest in the world.
Investors can raise their families while also making the most of the business opportunities available here. The economy in Portugal is secure and quick in terms of growth.
Let’s look at a few other benefits.
- The program allows you to live and work in the country
- Your Residence Visa is waived upon entering
- After 5 years, qualified applicants will be eligible for permanent residency
- Family members such as a spouse, children, dependent children, and dependent parents are included
- Citizenship for those who complete one year of permanent residency
- Ability to travel without a Visa within the Schengen member states
The Golden Resident Program is subject to the requirements and conditions listed by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, the Portuguese Trade and Investment Agency (AICEP), and the Department of Consular Affairs. To qualify, applicants must meet the following conditions:
- Should not possess a criminal record
- Prove that the funds for the investment originated abroad
- Pay the fees for application and processing on time and where applicable
- Their property, within the EU, must not be frozen
- Enter the country (Portugal) for the first time using a Schengen visa
- Stay in the country for a minimum of 7 days in the first year and 14 days each for the remaining 4 years
The Portugal Golden Visa Programme offers three investment routes to residency under Act 63/2015 and Regulatory Decree 15-A/2015, which govern the Golden Residence Permit Program:
- Property Investment
Under the newly updated conditions, the applicant can either purchase property worth €500,000 or more or, purchase a property worth €350,000, provided it’s over 30 years old or located in an urban regeneration zone that is to be refurbished.
The other option is to purchase a property that meets any of the above-mentioned conditions with a reduction of 20% in the minimum investment amount. However, the property must be located in an area with a low population density.
- Capital Investment
Here, the applicant can choose to invest €500,000s in research activities; €1,500,000 in venture capital funds or investment funds.
- Job Creation in Portugal
The job creation route entails the creation of at least 5 permanent jobs in Portugal, which jobs must be verified by the local social security institutions.
Make Portugal your second home
GDP nominal (per capita)
GDP (purchasing power parity)
Manufacturing and construction , clothing
- EU country enjoying a sound political system
- Ideal relocation destination for families
- European standard of living, including high standards of education and healthcare
The materials contained in this page are provided for general information purposes only and are not intended to provide legal or other professional advice. Processing times and costs will vary depending on a number of factors. CitizenMatch is not responsible for any changes to the time and cost estimates; we can provide specific information on an individual basis. All rights reserved.