Portugal’s fast developing market coupled with the access it provides to the entire Schengen Area, makes it an ideal relocation destination for families, as well as businesses. Portugal offers a European standard of living, including high standards of education and healthcare. Being a Mediterranean country, Portugal boasts of a rich and diverse culture as well as, a Mediterranean climate.
Immigration to Portugal through investment under the golden visa to Portugal, is an attractive option for those seeking investment opportunities and/or residency in the European Union. As a resident of Portugal, you can enjoy many benefits such as its rich culture, spectacular beaches and landscapes, high quality of life, and visa-free travel in the Schengen area.
There are several benefits that come as a result of enrolling in the Golden Residence Permit Program. Living in Portugal, in itself, is the most significant benefit. The country is home to a diverse and exquisite culture and is also one of the safest in the world.
Investors can raise their families while also making the most of the business opportunities available here. The economy in Portugal is secure and quick in terms of growth.
Let’s look at a few other benefits.
- The program allows you to live and work in the country
- Your Residence Visa is waived upon entering
- After 5 years, qualified applicants will be eligible for permanent residency
- Family members such as a spouse, children, dependent children, and dependent parents are included
- Citizenship for those who complete one year of permanent residency
- Ability to travel without a Visa within the Schengen member states
The Golden Resident Program is subject to the requirements and conditions listed by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, the Portuguese Trade and Investment Agency (AICEP), and the Department of Consular Affairs. To qualify, applicants must meet the following conditions:
- Should not possess a criminal record
- Prove that the funds for the investment originated abroad
- Pay the fees for application and processing on time and where applicable
- Their property, within the EU, must not be frozen
- Enter the country (Portugal) for the first time using a Schengen visa
- Stay in the country for a minimum of 7 days in the first year and 14 days each for the remaining 4 years
The Portugal Golden Visa Programme offers three investment routes to residency under Act 63/2015 and Regulatory Decree 15-A/2015, which govern the Golden Residence Permit Program:
|Real estate (ending soon)||€500,000||Purchase a property in Portugal for at least €500,000. The property can be located anywhere in Portugal, but it must be used as a secondary residence.|
|Investment fund||€500,000||Invest in a Portuguese investment fund that is focused on venture capital or private equity. The fund must be managed by a reputable Portuguese asset management company.|
|Capital transfer (ending soon)||€1.5 million||Transfer at least €1.5 million to a Portuguese bank account. The funds can be used for any purpose, but they must be deposited in Portugal for at least 5 years.|
|Job creation||Create at least 10 jobs in Portugal. The jobs must be created within 1 year of obtaining the Golden Visa and must be maintained for at least 5 years.|
|Donation||Donate €250,000 to a Portuguese cultural institution or scientific research project.|
- NOTE: Since January 2022, you cannot purchase residential properties in Lisbon, Porto, and coastal towns. Only residential properties in Azores and Madeira, as well as interior territories, are now eligible for the Portuguese Golden Visa through residential real estate investment.
Portugal’s Crypto-Friendly Golden Visa: Utilize cryptocurrencies to invest in real estate or other investment options and qualify for a Golden Visa. Portugal’s tax treatment of cryptocurrency is favorable, with no taxes or VAT on transactions, considering it as a payment method rather than an asset, provided you can demonstrate the legitimate source of your funds. However, businesses and individuals primarily trading cryptocurrency may be subject to gains taxes ranging from 28% to 35%, depending on various factors. To ensure compliance, consult a tax advisor in Portugal.
- Government application fees:Processing fee: €550 (initial application) + €80 (renewal per person)Initial application fee: €5,325 per personRenewal application fee: €2,663 per person
FAQs about Portugal & The Citizenship by Investment Program
- Which requirements do investors have to comply with?
The main applicant has to be a non-EU, non-EEA, and a non-Swiss citizen of 18 years or older, and make a qualifying investment within Portugal.
- Who in my family benefits from my Golden Visa?
The main applicant’s spouse, minor children, dependent children, and dependent parents also obtain the Golden Visa through family reunification.
- How long do I need to live in Portugal to get Portuguese citizenship?
To be able to apply for permanent residence or Portuguese citizenship, you need to have a valid residence permit in Portugal for at least five years. Keep in mind that it doesn’t mean you have to live in Portugal for that whole time, it depends on your residence permit. The residency requirement for a Golden Visa permit is to spend seven days per year in Portugal to keep your residence permit valid. If the application is through marriage, this period is reduced to three years.
- Which Countries Can I Travel to With A Portuguese Passport?
The Portuguese Golden Visa has significant travel advantages. The Portuguese passport is a European Union passport and it can travel to over 185 different countries globally, without the need for a visa. These countries include the European Schengen Area.
- Can I Travel Visa-Freely to the United States and Canada With A Portuguese Passport?
Portuguese passport grants his/her holder the right to freely travel to and from Canada, but not the USA. It’s, however, very easy to obtain a visa to travel to the US with your Portuguese passport.
Make Portugal your second home
GDP nominal (per capita)
GDP (purchasing power parity)
Manufacturing and construction , clothing
- EU country enjoying a sound political system
- Ideal relocation destination for families
- European standard of living, including high standards of education and healthcare
The materials contained in this page are provided for general information purposes only and are not intended to provide legal or other professional advice. Processing times and costs will vary depending on a number of factors. CitizenMatch is not responsible for any changes to the time and cost estimates; we can provide specific information on an individual basis. All rights reserved.