Malta is a member of the EU and the Schengen Area. Residence obtained under this programme grants a Maltese residence permit which allows its beneficiaries free travel within the Schengen Area. The residence permit also grants its beneficiaries the right to reside, settle and stay indefinitely in Malta.
Established in 2015, the Malta Residence and Visa Program (MRVP) is an efficient and quick way for an investor to gain the right to live in Malta legally.
There are several benefits that come with being a resident of Malta. Let’s take a look at a few of them.
- The Malta residence permit entitles you and your family the right to travel across the EU Schengen Area with the maximum amount of freedom. You and your family will never have to obtain a visa to visit countries such as Switzerland, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, Greece, and Portugal.
- You have the right to live in Malta indefinitely. The residence certificate is for life.
- A residence card will also be issued, which can be renewed every five years for an indefinite number of times and also qualify you for privileges and rights commonly reserved for citizens.
- No minimum presence is necessary.
- The program covers families. Eligible dependents include the spouse or partner in a long and durable relationship, children, parents and grandparents, under certain conditions.
The primary objective of MRVP is to channel in foreign investment into the country as a way to boost employment and generate wealth, which has a direct impact on the standard of living. Aside from the actual investments that are required, there are a few other conditions that you will have to meet.
- You must be 18 years or older to apply.
- You must submit an affidavit that indicates that your income (from external sources) is over €100,000 or that you possess capital that is not below €500,000.
- You must clear a strict due diligence process.
- You must possess a clean criminal record and submit evidence supporting this. This includes a Police Conduct Certificate from your country of origin, as well as from any country you have resided in for more than six months in the last ten years.
- You must possess European health insurance with a minimum coverage of €30,000.
- You must provide a certificate that you and each member of your family have no major health complications. The certificate must be obtained from a reputable healthcare system.
The MRVP is administered by an agency that reports to the Maltese Government. The agency is named the Malta Residence and Visa Authority (Identity Malta).
In order to be eligible, applicants must satisfy all the following investment criteria:
Contribution + Investment in Bonds + Property
- Financial Contribution
To qualify for Maltese Residency by Investment, the main applicant is required to pay a €30,000 contribution to the Maltese authorities, €5,500 is paid at the application stage and the remaining €24,500 on approval of the application. An additional €5,000 application fee is to be paid per each dependent parent/grandparent included in the application.
- Investment in Bonds
Applicants are required to invest at least €250,000 in Government approved bonds / shares to be kept for 5 years. This is only due on approval.
- Rental/Real Estate Purchase
Applicants are required to make an investment in property of at least €320,000 (Malta) or €270,000 (Gozo / South of Malta) or enter a property rental contract for at least €12,000 (Malta) or €10,000 (Gozo / South of Malta) p.a, both on five year contracts.
Make Malta your second home
GDP nominal (per capita)
GDP (purchasing power parity)
Central European Time Zone (UTC+01:00)
Tourism, electronics, ship building and repair, construction
Full EU & Schengen Area Member State
- Dual Citizenship allowed
- Full member of Schengen
- Favorable tax regime
The materials contained in this page are provided for general information purposes only and are not intended to provide legal or other professional advice. Processing times and costs will vary depending on a number of factors. CitizenMatch is not responsible for any changes to the time and cost estimates; we can provide specific information on an individual basis. All rights reserved.