Greece is a Member of the European Union, the Schengen Area and a Eurozone Member. During this time of economic recovery, the Greek real estate market offers unique investment opportunities for individuals and businesses wishing to access property in Europe at highly competitive prices.
Greece offers a residency program called the “Golden Visa” program that’s designed to encourage investment into the country while allowing investors to enjoy the benefits of living here.
There are a range of benefits that come with the Golden Visa program, including:
- Eligibility for family members. You may enroll your spouse and dependent children below the age of 18 in the program. Recently, the program was amended to include the parents of both the investor and their spouse.
- You only have to pay taxes on the income earned in Greece. Income earned from investments or interests outside the country will not be subject to taxation in Greece.
- You will be provided with a residence permit that will certify your right to live in the country. The residence permit does not allow you to seek employment. However, you can set up and operate your own business.
- Freedom to travel through the EU Schengen Zone. Greece is part of the Schengen Zone, which means you can visit all other countries in the zone without problems.
- 0 minimum stay requirements.
- Access to higher education. Greece is home to some of the best private and public educational institutions. Your residence permit allows you to enroll in any of them.
- Top-notch health care. Greece has one of the best healthcare systems. According to WHO rankings, it is the 14th best in the world.
- Greece has one of the best healthcare systems in the world. According to recent WHO rankings, the healthcare system in Greece is ranked 14th best worldwide.
- Greece has a very low-crime rate and is one of the safest places to live in. People roam freely even late at night.
- Greece enjoys a strategic geographical position on the world map. It is situated on the intersection that connects Europe, Asia, and Africa. As a result, international travel from Greece to locations in these 3 continents is convenient.
Aside from the basic requirement of a real-estate investment, you are required to meet only two conditions.
- You must possess a clean criminal record.
- You must have medical insurance.
There is only one investment option under the Greek Golden Visa program. You are required to invest €250,000 in a real estate purchase.
The Greek Golden Visa program is the least expensive program in Europe.
The purchased real estate can be located in any region within Greece. There are no restrictions on this. The property can either be commercial or residential.
It is also possible to purchase multiple properties, as long as the total investment amounts to a minimum of €250,000.
Joint buyers are permitted to combine multiple investments into a single property.
FAQs about Greece & The Citizenship by Investment Program
- What is the validity of the residence permit?
An immediately 5 years permit is issued which can be renewed after 5 years upon holding the qualifying real-estate. It is a permanent residency from day one on – and no language knowledge is required.
- Can I include family members?
A big advantage with Greece is you can include your spouse, children up to the age of 21 years as well as your parents and the parents-in-law! All is possible under one real-estate investment only and within one application.
- How much is the submission fee to the Government and does it include the permit cards?
The cost for the main applicant is EUR 2,000 while for the depending spouse EUR 150 and dependent children up to the age of 17 years are free. Children 18-21 years in study are EUR 150 as well as EUR 150 per parent.
- My child soon turns 21 years, can I still include them?
Children can be included up to the age of 21. Therefore, the application must be submitted and qualifying before the child turns 21 years! Children who successfully got it will lose the residence status after they turn 24 years if they do not become an own applicant with a real-estate investment in Greece of at least EUR 250,000 in propert(ies) as well. Another option as an alternative could be the child will be the main applicant and includes the parents in his/her application.
Make Greece your second home
GDP (per capita)
GDP (purchasing power parity)
Eastern European Time (UTC+2)
- Member of the European Union and the Schengen Area
- An unsurpassed quality of life
- One of the least polluted regions in the world
The materials contained in this page are provided for general information purposes only and are not intended to provide legal or other professional advice. Processing times and costs will vary depending on a number of factors. CitizenMatch is not responsible for any changes to the time and cost estimates; we can provide specific information on an individual basis. All rights reserved.